Monday, August 9, 2010

Where the deer and the antelope play

 Departed:  8:30 a.m. Tucamacari, New Mexico    Arrived: 12:00 Santa Fe, New Mexico

Hey everybody,
 You may think today's post title might be more appropriate for our trip home across the great plains, but today the sights on I-40 caused me to think of that song.  More mesas, cedar trees, small canyons, and lots of some kind of bush, which I'm going to call a creosote bush, because that's what I remember from the 4th grade social studies book that I taught out of forever! But the most exciting sighting, and this is for you Mrs. Chavaux, Mrs. Knop, and Mrs. Lanier (the only cowgirls I know).... real cowboys wearing chaps on real horses with lassos rounding up real herds of cows!  Yippe-ki-yi-yea! Giddyap!
And shortly after that I saw an antelope just minding his own business, grazing away.

It was a short drive to Santa Fe. After turning down the first two more convenient rv parks (some of us are picky) we opted for one a little out of town up on a hill that overlooks the city. It's supposed to be really pretty at night. We're just relaxing a little this afternoon, reading, napping, blogging, etc.  We are now two hours different from home time so maybe if I take a nap, stay up late, then maybe I can sleep past 3 a.m. which is what time I woke up this morning. Looking forward to taking in the Old Town Santa Fe tomorrow. A little trivia for you: Santa Fe was a city in 1607, so it is obviously the oldest state capital, although it was not a capital at that time, since of course there was no New Mexico. That's their story and they are sticking with it!
Oh, and most importantly, we are at 7000 feet above sea level where it is a delightful 79 degrees! I feel the envy coming through the screen!:)

Happy Camping!
View from the RV Park of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment