Thursday, July 14, 2011

On the Road Again..... Finally!

Departed:  Thomasville 11:50 a.m.
Arrived:  Cartersville, GA  6:30 p.m.
Cartersville KOA Campground
304 miles

Hey Friends!

Here we are again, just about a year later after our last adventure! A few major differences about our trip this year.
 1. We will not be headed to the desert, where it is extremely hot! We are headed to Michigan, where hopefully it will be a little cooler.
2. We have friends along! Many of you know Gene and Mary, they have a big, gorgeous 32 ft. class A      motorhome.  So I am excited that we might actually eat meals on time and even cook out a bit.

We did have a bit of a delay this morning,  when Bill was going through his "check the tires routine" ( you might remember from a year ago, we were delayed because of that as well) a stem where you add air into a tire broke on one of the tires. So Bill called our trusty friends at Singletary Tires and they came out with a truck and an able bodied service man. They had to lift the unit, take the tire off, go back to the shop, replace the stem, come back and put it on. But they were able to fix it in a timely manner and we are extremely thankful! So off we go only about 30 minutes later than we were supposed to.  BUT then.....

Bill says, where is the little wallet with all of the "camping" cards... like Coach Net, KOA Member Card, President's Member, AAA RV etc?  I, very proudly, pull it out of the console, here it is!! (I, who cleaned the unit, is supposed to know where everything is.) But no, that's not it, there's another one. So as we are driving along on 19, I am frantically looking in all of the possible hiding places. Nowhere do I find the other wallet. So we radio, (we all have walkie talkies, 10-4 good buddy) Gene and Mary, and say we are turning around to see if it's at home. They say, well it's so close to lunch, we'll meet ya'll at the Chick-Fil-A and go ahead and get lunch out of the way! We go home, search for the wallet, but to no avail... AND I repeat, I did not throw it away while cleaning up!  I even saved the whole bag of receipts, leaflets, etc. from the previous year, and it's not in there. So we get back to Chick-Fil-A, get us some lunch and tell Gene and Mary we will eat and drive since they have already eaten and were waiting on us.  I unpack the sandwiches, Bill promptly spills his all over himself! It is not his day!!! Halle and I move to the back.  (not really)  Is it happy hour yet??

So we are finally off! We had decided ahead of time to go to Columbus catch U.S. Hwy. 27 up to north Ga, Mary and Gene knew of a nice campground in Cartersville.  So we start our trek northward.  We make it all the way to Lee County before the first stop, Gene and Mary stop at Mark's Pumpkin Patch, right above Albany and  pick up some veggies for supper.  We continue towards Columbus, have a rest stop, and catch Hwy 27 in Lagrange. This area of the state brought back memories of my many drives from Tville to Carrollton, where I went to college.  I can't believe how much the area has changed.  First of all, 4 lane roads... awesome! When we drive through Carrollton, I can't even tell where I am, I probably haven't been there since the early 80's. We drove very close to Gene's mom's old stomping grounds in Roopville, GA.  Very near Roopville, I saw this clever sign:
Relics: Fleas and Tiques... Get it? :)

We wind through western Georgia, Villa Rica, Dallas, and finally to our campground in Cartersville. Definitely happy hour!! Break out the bourbon and coke! I probably have said before when people ask, what do you do when you camp.... drink and eat!
Gene and Mary are in charge of supper, thus why I am able to type right now... smoked pork chops on the grill, white acre peas, corn on the cob, and cornbread.... see what I mean, we'll definitely be eating better! Last trip I lost weight... maybe not on this one!!

And the other great piece of news is that we both have our dogs, Buddy and Halle and they are getting along!! That is huge for Halle as she is a people person, not a dog person!

Happy Camping!
Carla




1 comment:

  1. woohoo....my family is in Rome, I know the route well. Can't wait to hear where you're headed! Glad you have the dogs!
    Martha & Chris

    ReplyDelete